Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Where we're going, we don't need roads"

Let me go ahead and address the obvious time-gap between this post and the last: I know I've been slacking, but I'm not going to post something just for the hell of it.  If I write something, there's going to be a purpose behind it.  No meaningless dribble here.  I've just been searching for something worthwhile to post.  So there.  Bazinga.

I can very easily be struck ill with cabin fever.  And when I say "cabin fever," I'm not referring to the really bad horror movie made a few years ago about a bunch of hip youngsters being murdered in the forests of West Virginia, nor am I limiting the definition of the illness to just being stuck inside for a prolonged period of time.  I get cabin fever when I am bored for an extended amount of time, and up until this week, I would've been continuing this run for almost five months.  My cure for this mentally and physically debilitating psychological illness is being busy.  I try to get myself involved in so many tasks that I am unable to even think about how busy I am.  I just...go.

I'm at another time in my life where I have many things going on to keep me preoccupied, and it feels good.  I'm still doing the whole band thing, writing this garbage and contributing to another blog site, bartending, just started doing some part-time video work, and I've also begun working on some independent film/video projects.  Holla!  I love being busy and productive.  And for some reason, my internal clock didn't want me to sleep past 7:00am this morning, so I caught up on some of this season's Fall premieres, uploaded some footage to the ol' Macbook, and starting typing this nonsense.

Now to get to the point in all of this.  It is extremely important to take charge of your life because you are the only person who is responsible for your own successes, failures, gains, and losses in your existence.  However, somethings are, quite simply, beyond your control.  Now, I know what you're thinking; "That don't make no God damn sense!"  I know it's somewhat contradictory, but just hear me out.

Ultimately, we have very little control when it comes to determining where we all end up in life.  I'm not necessarily talking about predestination or anything like that, but we are given signs all throughout our lives that let us know if we are on the right track in life, or if we need to change directions.  This statement may seem vague, but honestly, it's meant to be that way.  A broad array of hints are given to us at different stages in our lives that guide our morals, goals, beliefs, ambitions, and many other aspects of our individual existence.  However, for this particular post, I'm concentrating on goals and ambitions.  Now, we've all heard of the old adage, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."  Well sometimes after a few more unsuccessful attempts, you should probably give up and move on to something else.  The Universe is most likely telling you that whatever you're trying to accomplish just wasn't meant to be.  Granted, a bunch of losers use that excuse after only trying once or never at all, but they're called "losers" for a reason.  It is not easy to recognize these signs I'm talking about, so more often than not it takes a while for one to really understand where they're being led in the grand scheme of things.  Hey, maybe you weren't meant to be a doctor...the world needs dentists and chiropractors.  The Universe has something laid out for every single one of us, but that's not to say we are all running on auto-pilot. 

We are solely responsible when it comes to how we live our lives; good or evil, awesome or lame, and everything in between.  The route we take in life has been set for us by The Universe's version of Google Maps, but we all know the most memorable things happen on the road trip rather than at the final destination.  We've got to learn to enjoy ourselves along the way.  Granted every once in a while we can't help but feel a little miserable and cranky because we run over those pesky potholes every now and again.  But overall, we've got to make sure that we've got the radio tuned to our favorite songs, plenty of Utz© Cheez Balls and Arizona© Green Tea (product plugs Wayne's World style), and our eyes on the road, keeping a lookout for those signs.

The phase of my life involving cabin fever and uncertainty is behind me; a mere overnight stay in a cheap motel during intense highway construction.  I've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and...wait...my name isn't Jake or Elwood...but REGARDLESS, I've got plenty going on in my life right now to keep me focused on the road ahead, and I plan to enjoy every curve along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment